Saturday, April 3, 2010

Jabiru Day 2

02/04/2010


Happy birthday to me what a great place to be celebrating my 55th birthday. Trice gave me breakfast in bed and let me just have a slow start, we went for a swim after breakfast and then headed off to our flight over Kakadu with the “Scenic Flight Company”. I didn’t realise it but Trice has never been up in a small aircraft so she is a little concerned but has not let on, she seemed OK until we walked out on the tarmac to our 8 seater aircraft, it was then that I noticed that she was a little tense. Trice was fantastic and enjoyed the 1 hour flight. Steve the pilot asked Trice and I to get on first but this idiot insisted that he get on before us, Steve asked me if it was Ok and I said that really didn’t care, if he was that keen let him get on. So off we go the plane lunges into the air, I check with Trice and she is feeling great. A circle over Jabiru and I can see our caravan in the park before we head off to Nourlangie Rock, “What is that smell, it smells like rotten paw paw?” Old mate who insisted on getting on before us has just thrown up down his shirt, great! the smell is just about taking my breath away, I look at Trice and she is holding her nose so she does not gag.
Onward to Jim Jim falls, spectacular, the pilot does 2 circles around the falls to show everyone in the plane the falls, spew bucket decides to offload another one, “You are kidding, this is an hour flight!”, at least he got it into a bag this time. Twin Falls and yes spew man lets it go again. Back over Jim Jim Falls and onto Double Falls, the scenery is fantastic, the escarpment rises to over 1,000 metres in some places around here. A circle over Death Adder valley and I don’t know how much longer I can keep my stomach down as he throws up into his bag once again, how much did he have for breakfast? Smells like he had a truck load of paw paw, everyone on the plane is starting to turn green. A quick flit past Lighting Dreaming, a couple of
circles over the Uranium mine and Mt Brockman and our hour flight has come to an end. I have never seen a plane empty so fast leaving spew guts to carry his parcel from the plane and have a rinse under the tap to get the spew off his shirt, his daughter was totally embarrassed and just wanted to get out of there.
 Back into the air conditioning trying to settle our stomachs before we jump into the car and head back to the park for a swim. We waited until the sun has passed over just a bit before we headed off to Ubirr to have a walk and view the ancient aboriginal artwork, the artwork which they have estimated to be somewhere around 2,000 to 3,000 years old. The artwork, the geology and just the apparent age of this area is mind blowing.
 Ubirr is around 50 klms east of Jabiru and right on the border of Arnhem land and a bit wet as you will see from the photo. Back for happy hour, a bit of a swim and a mixed roast of beef, kangaroo and sausages for my birthday dinner, I can’t wait. We wander over for the happy hour and it is closed! Closed what are you talking about, it is my birthday, nothing is open, don’t you realise I have driven 4,500 klms to be here for my birthday and you do not have the decency to stay open, what is the world coming to?
Trice has taken the precaution of buying a lamb roast without telling me, so the little webber is warmed up and we ended up having a lovely dinner with a few rums and a bottle of champagne. Off to Cooinda tomorrow for a cruise.



3 comments:

  1. Well first of all, Ben was a little dissapointed there was no photos of 'spew guts' we wanted to know what the tosser looked like!! 2nd, you look like you have had quite a few rums in the photo that mum just made it into above! And lastly I think you should start a column in the local newspaper - you are a very entertaining writer! You might have to travel australia for a profession! Miss you guys cant wait to see you soon xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I had a few, just this drunk old guy somewhere in Kakadu.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. How funny, the old spew guts story Mike! You should publish this edition of your travels! Miss you both lots xxxx

    ReplyDelete